Saturday, November 9, 2013

Keeping it Clean

Our house (which we are renting) is going to be up for sale soon! We are actually scheduled to have a showing this Wednesday so I need to clean out the crap so my landlord can sell this sucker. This showing is huge motivation to throw stuff out! Tonight I went through all of our piles of old mail in our kitchen and found a huge stack of last yrs Christmas cards, a color photo copy of our marriage lisence and my birth certificate, of all things! I also managed to spill about a shots worth of my husbands bottle of whiskey (oops!) while cleaning! Who ever thought a loose cork was a reasonable way to lock in liquid! (This was great bc I got to clean the counter tops too!) Getting rid of the crap really makes for a good looking house! Here are the things to go by to clean out the crap...

-Throw out old -and new- mail. If its over a yr old and never even been opened... Open it up! Then decide if its worth keeping. If so, scan it and toss the paper.
-Magazines can be the death of a clean space. If they're over a month old, toss them! Especially around the holidays, just get rid of them! 
-If it's in the corner (of your counter top, the room, a shelf) decide if its worth keeping, and find a meaningful place for it. Stuff in the corners weigh down a room and makes it feel full and crowded... no one puts Baby in the corner! 
-The living room coffee table can be a breeding ground for junk! Keep that table clean... The remote  and a stack of coasters should be the only things on the coffee table.

I've noticed now that we are getting an influx of toys and gadgets for the baby that our house is becoming a suffocating environment for me... It's too much "stuff" so it's necessary for me to clear out the crap! 
Happy cleaning!

No comments: